Chicken and Broccoli Lasagna Recipe
This is an amazing chicken and broccoli lasagna recipe that will blow your socks off! Finished with a delicious parmesan custard that your family love, you’ll make this lasagna recipe again and again! And the bonus? Your family is eating broccoli – without complaining!
Chicken and Broccoli Lasagna Recipe (with Parmesan Custard)
We hope you enjoy making this lasagna recipe as much as we have in our household – it’s a winner.
Chicken & Broccoli Lasagna Recipe
- Skillet/ frypan
Chicken & Broccoli Lasagna Ingredients
- 1 package instant lasagna sheets (approx 8 oz or 250g)
- 1 pound chicken breasts (approx 500g) (skinless, boneless, diced)
- 1 pound broccoli (approx 500g) (rinsed, cut into small florets)
- 1 pound mozzarella cheese (approx 500g) (grated)
- 4 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 1 large carrot (grated)
- 1 large onion (diced)
- ½ cup parmesan cheese (approx 125g) (grated)
- ¼ cup flat leaf parsley (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- salt & pepper (to taste)
Parmesan Custard Ingredients
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup chicken broth/ stock
- ½ cup parmesan cheese (grated)
- 4 tablespoons all purpose flour (plain flour)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ½ teaspoon salt
- pinch ground paprika
- pinch ground nutmeg
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over a low heat.
- Stir in flour over a low heat until the mixture is smooth (approx 2 minutes).
- Stir in milk and whisk mixture over a medium heat until smooth (approx 4 minutes).
- Stir in chicken broth/ stock.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs.
- Gradually whisk the eggs into the mixture.
- Let the custard stand off the heat.
- Stir in the cheese.
- Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (or approximately 180 degrees C).
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet.
- Stir in onion and garlic then saute for 1 minute.
- Add chicken and saute over medium heat until cooked through, turning frequently.
- Stir in broccoli and carrot.
- Cook – covered – over a medium heat until vegetables are just tender (approx 5 minutes).
- Add parsley, salt and pepper, to taste.
- Scoop ½ cup of parmesan custard into a 9 x 12 inch (approximately 20 x 30cm) baking dish.
- Top with a layer of instant lasagna noodles/ sheets.
- Scoop about half the chicken and brocolli mixture over the noodles.
- Add ½ cup of parmesan custard to the top of the chicken and broccoli mixture.
- Add a layer of one-third of the mozzarella.
- Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of the parmesan.
- Arrange a second layer of slightly overlapping lasagna noodles on top.
- Scoop on the remaining chicken and broccoli mixture.
- Add half of the remaining mozzarella plus 1 tablespoon of the grated parmesan.
- Scoop on ½ cup of the parmesan custard.
- Top with the remaining lasagna noodles/ sheets.
- Arrange the remaining lasagna noodles on top.
- Sprinkle the last of the mozzarella on top and carefully pour the last of the parmesan custard over the top.
- Sprinkle with the remainder of the grated parmesan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (or approximately 180 degrees C) until the top is browned and bubbly (approx 50 minutes).
- Allow lasagna to stand for at least 10 minutes before cutting and serving.
This is a hearty recipe that really can be a whole meal in itself. However, it’s great if you have the time and ingredients to pair it with a side salad. Some lettuce, tomato wedges, and a few carrot and cucumber sticks add color, crunch, and nutrition to your meal.
Lasagna will keep well refrigerated for a couple of days, and is perfect to take to work in a lunchbox. Alternatively, this lasagna recipe freezes nicely and can be kept for up to three months. Wrap each portion individually in cling film, then place into a freezer-safe container. (Don’t forget to mark the date so you know when you use it by!)
As you know, I try to give you some suggestions about how you can personalize each of my recipes. If you or your family don’t like, don’t want, or don’t have broccoli, here are some alternatives:
- Replace the broccoli with cauliflower florets, asparagus, green beans, or courgette (zucchini).
- Substitute the diced carrot with corn kernels or peas.
- Add in 1/4 cup chopped dried or semi-dried tomatoes (chopped). Stir through the chicken mixture.
I’d love to hear how you enjoy the lasagna; please leave me a note in the comments section.
Until next time!
Love & lasagna, Bx