A zingy and zesty Mexican lasagna recipe that your amigos will LOVE!
Lasagna is so versatile and this Mexican lasagna version is living proof of that. Hearty, delicious, and nutritious, this is a complete meal in itself. Whether you make it just for your family as a regular meal, or for large get togethers, everyone will enjoy the tastes and flavors of Mexico in this traditional Italian favorite.
I love to serve my mexican dip made with avocados as an appetizer for this lasagna to stick with the mexican theme.
And you know what else I love about it? There are so many ways to ‘tweak’ the recipe to make it your own! Check out the ‘options’ heading (below). Also, be sure to try my chicken and spinach lasagna as well, it is pretty amazing.
It’s great to be given a recipe that you can trust works well. However, in my opinion, it’s even better to be able to make a recipe truly your own. I’ll include a list of suggestions so you can personalize this lasagna recipe so that it’s not mine, but yours. Exactly the way you and your family like it best.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream on top, and finish with a small sprig of fresh cilantro (coriander).
- Add some spicy sliced jalapeños to the layers as you put together the lasagna.
- Replace the tomatoes with salsa – as spicy as you like!
- Try substituting corn chips for instant lasagna sheets.
- Serve with a side salad of avocado, tomato, red onion, cilantro (optional), and a wedge of lime.
- If you’re planning a ‘themed’ event, this Mexican lasagna recipe is really versatile! Is it Italian, or is it Mexican? For either, try using paper napkins in the colors of the Italian or Mexican flag.
- For a Mexican themed event, you could pair the meal with tangy margaritas.
- For an Italian themed event, what about pairing the meal with fruity sangria?
As a rule, people tend to either really love or really hate cilantro. Check with your guests before serving!
If you like this lasagna, make sure you check out our other lasagna recipes and see which one you think is best.
Until next time!
Love & lashings of lovely lasagna, Bx
Mexican Lasagna Recipe
- Skillet/ frypan
- 1 packet instant lasagna noodle sheets (8.5 oz or 250g)
- 2 cups parmesan or romano cheese
- 1 pound diced tomatoes (fresh or canned)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound kidney beans (canned, drained)
- 1 pound corn kernels (frozen is fine)
- 1 pound ricotta cheese
- 1 cup water
- 2 avocados (sliced)
- 1 large onion (diced)
- 1 lime (juiced)
- 1 packet taco seasoning mix
- dried crushed chilli (to taste)
- In a large skillet/ frypan, cook the minced beef and onion until the meat has browned and the onion has softened.
- Stir in the tomatoes, kidney beans, corn kernels, taco seasoning mix, lime juice and dried chilli flakes (optional and to taste).
- Allow to simmer – uncovered – for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. (You may need to add some water if the mixture looks like it's drying out.)
- In the bottom of a large baking dish, spread about a cup of the meat, corn & kidney bean mixture across the bottom.
- Place a layer of the instant lasagna noodles over the meat mixture, trying not to have the noodles overlap (you may need to do a bit of trimming, depending on the size of your baking dish).
- Cover the noodles with half of the remaining meat, corn & kidney bean mixture.
- Then arrange a layer using half the sliced avocado on top of the mixture.
- Cover the avocado with half of the ricotta cheese.
- Sprinkle about half of the parmesan or romano cheese on top.
- Arrange another layer of lasagna noodle sheets, again trying to make sure that they don't overlap.
- Add a layer using MOST of the last half of the meat, corn & kidney bean mixture (just reserve about a cup for the a final thin layer).
- Arrange a layer using the last of the sliced avocado on top of the meat mixture.
- Use the last of the ricotta cheese to spread on top of the avocado layer.
- Sprinkle some parmesan or romano cheese on top (ensuring that there's a little bit left for the end).
- Spread out a final layer of lasagna noodle sheets.
- Use the very last of the meat and spread it thinly over the top of the lasagna noodle sheets.
- Use the last of the parmesan cheese to sprinkle over the very top of your Mexican Lasagna.
- Cover the lasagna with aluminium foil and bake at 350 degrees F for 40 minutes.
- Take the aluminium foil off, and bake – uncovered – for a further 10 minutes, or until the cheese on top has browned.
- Allow your zingy & zesty Mexican lasagna to rest for 10 minutes before cutting and serving.