Individual Australian Meat Pies
This Australian meat pie recipe is a modern version of an age old favourite.
It is easy to buy meat pies in the store, but these homemade ones always taste better. You might also like our Italian meatballs they never fail to bring a smile to the faces in my house.
Individual Meat Pies
- large pan
- 6 sheets ready-rolled shortcrust pastry partially thawed if previously frozen
- 1.5 pounds lean ground beef. (Also called beef mince) Metric: 700 grams
- 1.5 pounds potatoes, already peeled. Metric: 700 grams
- 14 oz diced tomatoes (tinned is fine) Metric: 400 grams
- 2 oz butter, softened Metric: 60 grams
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 1 cup peas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ cup beef stock
- 1.5 tablespoons gravy powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over a medium heat.
- Add garlic & onion.
- Cook for 5 mins or until onion is soft.
- Add tomato paste.
- Cook for 1 min.
- Increase heat to high.
- Add ground (minced) beef.
- Cook for 8 mins or until browned.
- Add beef stock and diced tomatoes.
- Bring to the boil.
- Sprinkle in gravy powder.
- Mix well.
- Reduce heat to medium-low.
- Simmer for 10 minutes or until mixture has thickened slightly.
- Add peas.
- Cook for 1 minute.
- Remove pan from heat and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (200 degrees Celcius).
- Cut two 6 inch (14cm) circles from each of the 6 sheets of pasty.
- Line the base and sides of 12 x ¾ cup-capacity large muffin pan holes with the pastry.
- Place the muffin pan in the freezer for approx 10 mins, or until the pastry has firmed.
- Remove muffin pan from freezer and bake for approx 8 mins, or until golden brown.
- Fill each pastry case approx 2/3 full with your minced beef mixture.
- Increase oven temperature to 430 degrees Fahrenheit (220 Celcius).
- Grate potatoes.
- Squeeze out excess moisture from potatoes (I use a new, clean sponge).
- Spread out grated potato onto a microwave-safe plate and microwave – uncovered – on high for 2 mins, or until tender.
- Put grated potato into a bowl.
- Add butter, salt & pepper to taste.
- Stir gently but ensuring the grated potato is well coated with the butter mixture.
- Add grated potato mixture to the top of each pastry case.
- Bake for approx 12 minutes, or until the top of each pie is crisp and golden.
- Serve with your choice of salad or vegetables.