THE ABSOLUTE BEST homemade lasagna recipe that you will ever find – and that’s a promise!
My original homemade lasagna recipe is by far my all-time favorite. Not only is it rich and full-bodied, but also very simple lasagna to make. What a perfect combination!
The version I’ve listed here uses store-bought lasagna sheets and pasta sauce. However, if you prefer to use fresh lasagna sheets and make your own sauce, go right ahead.
- large, heavy-bottomed skillet
- Large saucepan/ pot
- lasagna dish (rectangular, deep-sided baking dish)
- 4 fat Italian sausages
- 4 cups spaghetti sauce (store-bought or you can make your own, whichever tickles your taste buds)
- 1 pound lean ground beef/ mince (500g)
- 1 package instant lasagna sheets (large)
- ½ pound mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- ½ pound cottage or ricotta cheese
- Cook sausages in frying pan until mostly cooked.
- Cut up into small, bite sized pieces.
- Brown ground beef (minced beef) in a large, heavy-bottomed skillet.
- Add both the sausages and mince meat to the jars of spaghetti sauce in a large pot.
- Mix well and let simmer for 1 to 2 hours (depending on how much time you have, but 2 hours is better).
- When sauce is ready, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180 degrees Celcius).
- Spread a very thin layer of just spaghetti sauce (no sausage) over the base of your lasagna dish – really just to add some juice to the bottom of the dish.
- Then spread instant lasagna sheets over the saucy base to cover the base. You might need to break/ cut some in order to fill gaps. Do not overlap the lasagna sheets.
- Pour half of the sauce on top of the sheets.
- Then spread half the cottage/ ricotta cheese on the sauce.
- Layer with another set of lasagna sheets.
- Then spread most of the rest of the sauce on top of sheets. (Leave a very little bit to spread over the next layer of lasagna sheets.)
- Spread the remaining half of the cottage/ ricotta cheese onto the sauce.
- Place the third and final layer of lasagna sheets over the cottage/ ricotta cheese.
- Spread the last of the spaghetti sauce over the top layer of lasagna sheets.
- Sprinkle grated/ shredded mozzarella cheese evenly over the top.
- Cover with aluminium foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil – but keep it!
- Return lasagna to the oven and and bake for a fruther 20 minutes, or until the top of the lasagna is golden brown.
- Allow the lasagna to rest (covered in the foil you removed earlier) for 15 minutes.
- Slice into 6 even portions and serve.
Wow! There are SO many ways you can personalize this recipe to really make it your own!