Welcome to my quick crustless quiche recipe! It’s my secret weapon at the end of a super-busy day because it’s so easy and versatile.
If your life is anything like mine, sometimes you need a handful of quick, easy, and reliable recipes that you can pull together (out of thin air!) in a flash at the end of a long day. This is one of my all-time favorite ‘go to’ recipes for those times when you need them the most. Healthy, tasty, filling, fast, and almost impossible to muck up. I promise you that this will be one of your ‘go to’ recipes, too.
I’m all about you being able to personalize the recipe. My theory is that if you can make some easy adjustments to suit yours and your family’s needs, you’ll make the recipe over and over again.
Some options involve add-ins, and some involve substitutions. I’ll give you a list of both, then you can pick and choose what best suits your needs. Feel free to mix and match, depending what’s in your refrigerator and pantry on the day.
- diced onion, chopped chives, spring onions, eschallots, scallions
- finely diced bell pepper/ capsicum
- asparagus cut to 1/2 inch lengths
- chopped tomatoes (just make sure there’s not too much juice or it will affect how your quiche binds while baking)
- small chunks tinned pineapple (again, remember the juice thing)
- corn kernels
- crushed garlic
- tinned tuna (although you might like to take out the bacon first – not sure how bacon & tuna would go together?!)
- finely sliced mushrooms
- grated carrot, grated zucchini/ courgette
- halved cherry tomatoes (add great color!)
- tiny florets of broccoli or cauliflower
- basil leaves
- sliced pitted olives
If you’re interested in a low fat crustless quiche recipe that is light in calories but heavy in flavor, consider the following substitutions:
- use skim milk
- replace two eggs with egg whites
- reduce butter and olive oil to 3/4 tablespoon each
- trim fat from bacon
- use low-fat or reduced fat cheese
- reduce cheese quantity to 3/4 cup
- replace bacon with vegetables
Replacing bacon with vegetables, reducing cheese, butter, and olive oil, and using low fat options, each slice of quiche becomes only 110 calories!
Depending on your kids’ ages, they can help you prepare the add-ins. Breaking off broccoli florets, grating cheese, crushing garlic, or even slicing mushrooms if they’re old enough to use a knife. My children are always (a little!) more likely to eat vegetables when they’ve helped prepare them. (Although now that I’ve said that, maybe I’ve jinxed myself?!)
I usually add a side salad – although (if I’m honest) I’m more successful sometimes than at other times. Lettuce, a few wedges of tomato, and cucumber and carrot sticks are fine to add colour, crunch, and nutrients. And in my (totally unqualified!) opinion, a salad balances out some of the cheese.
I add a large slice to school & office lunchboxes because the crustless quiche is still scrumptious the next day.
My kids think no meal is complete without a dessert, so I would recommend serving some no bake cheesecake along with this quiche to satisfy the sweet tooth in your house.
I hope you love this delicious, quick and easy quiche as much as I do, and that it becomes one of your busy-day staples.
Until next time!
Love & quick dinners, Bx
Quick Crustless Quiche
- 4 eggs beaten
- 2 rashers bacon diced
- 1½ cups milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese grated
- ½ cup self-raising flour
- ½ onion diced
- 1 tablespoon butter melted
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- parsley (very finely chopped) to garnish
- Preheat oven to 360 degrees F (which is approximately 180 degrees Celcius) – a moderate oven.
- In a small skillet, heat the olive oil and add in diced bacon and onion.
- Lightly fry for a few minutes – just to soften and bring out the flavours.
- In a bowl, add beaten eggs to flour and melted butter.
- Blend egg, butter, and flour mixture until smooth.
- Pour in milk, then add salt, pepper & parsley to taste.
- Add bacon, onion, and cheese.
- Stir the mixture until all the ingredients are well combined.
- Pour mixture into a greased 9 x 13 inch (or approx 20 x 30cm) baking dish.
- Bake at 360 degrees F (180 degrees C) for 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven, slice into 9 rectangles (3 across, 3 down), and serve while hot.