These homemade pumpkin muffins with raisins and pecans are a quick and easy breakfast on those busy mornings. They make a great addition to your holiday breakfast buffet or would be appreciated as part of a gift basket.
This homemade pumpkin pecan muffin recipe is the best! A bite into the wonderfully sweetened moist pumpkin muffins excites the palate with luscious flavors and textures.
The gorgeous fluffy pumpkin muffins oozing with bold vanilla & cinnamon fragrance is a drooling experience. A nibble into the edible baked delight pops the mouth with a soft texture, sweet ripe pumpkin flavors complementing the crunchy pecans. The nutmeg, allspice & delicate chewy raisins make these muffins exquisitely delicious.
Let’s have a look at the ingredients that go into this delicious recipe.
- Of course we need pumpkin in pumpkin muffins. If you have fresh pumpkin available, that is best. Cook the pumpkin and blend it into a puree.
- If what you have available is canned pumpkin, that is perfectly fine. In fact, on the day I took the pictures for this page, I only had canned pumpkin available and they turned out just fine.
- Raisins are naturally sweet and delicious. This recipe calls for one cup of raisins – use your favorite brand.
- Pecans add such a nice crunchy texture to these muffins, you definitely should not skip them. Available from most stores, buy some whole pecans and chop them up.
- You need one cup of sugar here, brown sugar is best, but white sugar will work just fine
- My personal favorite is a mix of plain flour and wholewheat flour. About a 50 – 50 mix is what I use. Use what you have available.
- Self raising flour – if you want to use self raising flour, then you should omit the baking soda called for in the list of ingredients. Your self raising flour already contains it in the right amount.
To achieve moist pumpkin muffins, I begin by mixing the sugar with Crisco.
Then one by one I add in the flour, baking soda, salt, pumpkin puree & raisins.
After all the dry & liquid ingredients are well combined, place the pecans on the chopping board. Using a knife, chop up the pecans into bite-size pieces.
Then, transfer the chopped pecans into the muffin mixture. Stir gently (by hand) until all the pecan pieces are nicely combined and evenly distributed throughout the muffin mixture.
Finally, bake for about 30 minutes in the preheated oven at 350°F/180°C. To check their doneness, insert a toothpick into the muffins. If the toothpick comes out clean with no stickiness, they are perfectly done.
Pumpkin Muffins with Raisins and Pecans
- muffin pan
- Mixing bowl
- 1 can 15 oz pumpkin (425 grams) Fresh pumpkin is better if you have it available.
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup Crisco
- 1 cup raisins
- 2 eggs
- 2 ¼ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon all spice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Add shortening into sugar
- Add rest of dry ingredients and stir together
- Add pumpkin, eggs, and vanilla and stir together by hand till completely mixed
- Stir firmly until the mixture is thick and stiff
- Add pecans and stir the mixture until the pecans are spread evenly throughout
- Add muffin mix to greased muffin tins
- Bake in preheated 350 F (180 C) degree oven for approximately 30 minutes or untill inserted toothpick comes out clean