Delicious golden brown air fryer tater tots are a quick, easy, and versatile snack – made healthier by air frying rather than deep frying.
Everyone knows and loves tater tots, but if we’re honest with ourselves, anything deep fried isn’t very good for our health. However, cooking them in an air fryer makes these tasty treats a much more acceptable option.
Why you will love this recipe!
One of the advantages of tater tots is undoubtedly their versatility; tater tots can be eaten as a quick meal on the go, an after school snack, or a side dish with your main meal.
Remember when I mentioned versatility? Right here is when that comes into play! If you only have a package of store bought tater tots, then that’s OK! However, if you have just a couple of extra minutes and a few staples in your pantry, you can add in some delicious and subtle flavors…
Olive oil (or any vegetable oil). Using a tablespoon of oil is optional, but I like to use just one tablespoon to lightly coat the outside of the tater tots so that they crisp up really nicely in the air fryer, and to help the seasonings stick.
Salt and pepper. Just half a teaspoon of each makes an easy but tasty addition.
Dried herbs. I often add one teaspoon of dried rosemary for a delicious flavor sensation. However, whichever herbs rock your world would work equally well.
Crushed/ chopped garlic. Depending on your preference, you can add as much or as little crushed/ chopped garlic as you like.
Be sure to scroll down to the recipe card below for more details.
I like to add half the package of tater tots to a bowl and add the ingredients above (one tablespoon of olive oil, half a teaspoon of salt and pepper, a teaspoon of dried rosemary, and a teaspoon of chopped garlic).
Then toss all the ingredients together so that the tater tots have a little flavor on them. Then I pop them in the air fryer and wait for the magic to happen!
Expert Tips and Tricks
If you’re looking for the absolute fastest and easiest method, add half a package of tater tots to the air fryer basket and leave them to cook for 15 minutes at 400 F (200 C) degrees.
However, if you’re in the kitchen anyway, my suggestion is to check the air fryer basket at the 5 minute mark and the 10 minute mark to pull the basket out, hold it over a large dinner plate or a couple of pieces of paper towel, and give it a brisk shake to turn the tater tots over.
Then replace the basket and continue cooking. The added little shake or two ensures the tater tots get shifted around and/ or turned over so that they cook evenly and turn that lovely golden brown color all over.
Be sure to try my air fryer lamb chops while you have your machine out, they are so simple and tasty.
Air Fryer Tater Tots Recipe
- air fryer
- Mixing bowl
- 1 pack frozen tater tots
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (other cooking oils are fine)
- ½ teaspoon salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried herbs (optional)
- 1 teaspoon fresh diced garlic
- Add half a package of frozen tater tots to a large mixing bowl
- Mix or toss the tater tots, olive oil, salt, pepper, dried herbs and garlic until all that tater tots are evenly covered with the other ingredients
- Place mixed tater tots into air fryer
- Cook for 5 minutes at 350 F (180 C)
- Toss air fryer basket over paper towel, sink anything to catch the bits that will fall out
- Place back in air fryer and cook for another 5 minutes
- Take basket out, toss again, return to air fryer for further 5 minutes. 15 minutes total.
- Serve golden brown tater tots