Our sensational gluten free crab cake recipe is quick & easy to prepare, super-tasty, and really versatile – so read on!
Most crab cake recipes contain a lot of bread crumbs. Not good for people wanting to have gluten free meals. This recipe however does not have any bread or grain based ingredients.
Restaurant owners often tell us how crab cakes are some of the hottest selling appetizers on the menu – and we know why! They’re not only delicious, but versatile and healthy, too.
And now – with our easy to follow recipe – you can make them at home in under 30 minutes! Perfect for parties, fabulous as formal starters, awesome as after school/ work snacks, and lovely for light dinners with the family.
If you are looking for a complete gluten free meal, follow this appetizer with my gluten free pasta sauce that everybody in my family enjoys or a delicious meat pie that my kids love, but that last one does have gluten.
After the recipe card, check out some of my suggestions for how to personalize this recipe to really make it your own. Also, try some of the variations listed, which include healthy and delicious ways to turn this appetizer into a main meal.
As you know, I love to be able to give you some options so you can personalize my recipes. And my crab cakes recipe is no exception!
- Serve with sweet chilli sauce and sour cream to dip the crab cakes in – yum!
- Add a bit of spice to the mix by including a very small quantity of chilli to the mixture. You can use 1/2 teaspoon dried chilli flakes, or de-seed and finely chop 1 small red chilli.
- Serve crab cakes on a bed of mixed lettuce leaves with some halved cherry tomatoes and cucumber slices. Drizzle with your favorite salad dressing.
- If you’re looking to turn crab cakes from an appetizer into a meal, consider these options:
- include mashed potato in the mixture. I use equal quantities of mashed potato and crab cake mixture. The combination of protein and carbohydrates makes for a healthy and hearty meal.
- add some grated carrot, very finely sliced green beans, and 1 cup mashed sweet potato into the crab cake mixture.
As always, I’d love to hear your feedback about my recipe. So please write a comment below and let me know how you enjoyed the crab cakes!
Please let your guests know that this appetizer/ meal contains crab. Seafood allergies are real and serious, so always advise your guests before serving any type of seafood or shellfish.
Gluten Free Crab Cake Recipe
- Skillet/ frypan
- 1 pound crab meat – (you can use a mixture of lump crab and special crab, more of the lump if you have it) (500 grams)
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 red pepper/ capsicum (seeded & finely diced)
- 1 pound gruyere cheese (grated) (500 grams)
- ¼ pound blanched almond flour. (Or flaxseed meal for nut free) (125 grams)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon tamari sauce Similar to soy sauce, but this is gluten free
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon freshly chopped garlic
- pinch sea salt (to taste)
- pinch white pepper (to taste)
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl except for the almond flour. Add a sprinkling of almond flour to help bind mixture.
- Shape into small patties and then lightly coat in the almond flour.
- In a heavy based frypan, heat some peanut or olive oil, add the crab cakes and fry until golden on both sides.
- Finally garnish with some chopped chives and/ or fresh lemon juice squeezed over the top.
- Lump crab is the larger pieces from the body of the crab. For this recipe, use more of this than the special crab if you have it available.
- Special crab is the smaller pieces of crab meat.