Macaroni and Cheese
We grew up on macaroni and cheese! It is such an easy dish to make so there is no need to buy the cheap box version – you know the one I mean. Make this homemade mac and cheese with simple and cheap ingredients and all the eaters in your house will thank you for it.
A tried and true old favourite that everybody will go crazy for.
This is a great savory meal for the young ones. Looking for something meatier? Try our Italian meatballs that all the family will love. Or if you’re searching for an easy, after dinner treat, try some pancakes – they are not just for breakfast anymore!
Macaroni and Cheese
- 1 box macaroni (approx 1 pound) (450g)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1½ cups milk
- 1½ cups cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1 clove garlic (crushed)
- 1 tablespoon butter (substitute margarine if necessary)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- In a large saucepan, bring water to the boil and cook macaroni according to package instructions.
- Rinse with cold water and stir.
- Set aside.
- Cook onion and garlic in butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir in nutmeg, salt, pepper, and flour.
- Add milk and cook - stirring occasionally - until thick and bubbly.
- Stir in shredded cheddar cheese until melted.
- Add macaroni and stir.
- Pour into a casserole dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175 degrees Celsius).
- Top with bread crumbs for the last 5 minutes of baking.
There are so many ways to jazz up mac & cheese – whether to sneak in some vegetables, or to make it a little healthier. Here are some of my favorites:
- Lightly steam small-cut florets of cauliflower. Add them into the mixture between Steps 7 and 8.
- Finely dice 1/2 bell pepper (red, orange, or yellow) and add it to the garlic and onion in Step 4.
- Stir through 1 cup frozen peas at the end of Step 7.
- Add 1/2 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes and stir through at the end of Step 7.
- Sprinkle a handful of lightly toasted pine nuts over the top of the macaroni and cheese just before serving.
- Use skim milk and/ or low-fat cheese.
- Trim and dice 4 rashers of bacon and add in during Step 4.
Don’t forget to leave me a note in the comments section to let me know how you went with the recipe, and whether you tried any of the options.
Until next time!
Love & comfort food, Bx