Something a bit different, but healthy & delicious.
Pair this with a great san choy bow recipe to make a full meal.
- 10 medium ripe tomatoes
- 1+1/2 teaspoon caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (+ olive oil spray)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2/3 cup long grain rice
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/3 cup roughly chopped mint leaves
- 75g feta cheese, crumbled
- salt & ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat over to 180 degrees Celcius.
- Slice about 1cm from each tomato base and reserve bases.
- Using teaspoon, scoop out tomato pulp (without damaging the skin) over a bowl, reserving pulp and juice.
- Lightly sprinkle tomato cavities with 1 teaspoon sugar and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a medium frying pan over medium heat.
- Add onion, garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes or until onion is soft.
- Add rice, stir well to coat in oil and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.
- Add tomato pulp to rice and stir to combine.
- Cover and simmer, stirring often, over medium-low heat for 5 minutes.
- Add remaining sugar, parsley, mint & feta and gently stir to combine.
- Remove from heat.
- Pat tomato cavities with paper towel to dry.
- Evenly spoon rice mixture into tomatoes and top with reserved tomato bases.
- Lightly spray or brush with olive oil.
- Place tomatoes into a large, greased baking dish and bake for 40-45 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Serve warm.
Total time: 1hour + 45minutes (40mins prep + 55mins cook) Difficulty: Medium.