This pistachio dukkah recipe is my very own version of a delicious Middle Eastern recipe – perfect for pre-dinner or nibbles.
Dukkah is an Egyptian dish made up of a mixture of crushed pistachio nuts, hazelnuts and various spices. Think of it as a dry dip! Just roughly cut or tear up your favorite bread (Turkish bread, sourdough, country loaf etc) in to bite sized chunks. Then dip the bread into good quality olive oil, and then dip into the pistachio dukkah. The olive oil helps the nuts and seeds to stick to the bread. It’s super-delicious – and healthy!
The word ‘dukkah’ is an Arabic word meaning ‘to pound’, seeing as the spices and nuts are all pounded together until they become a finely ground mixture.
Just like most of my recipes, the pistachio dukkah recipe can be modified to suit you, your family, and the ingredients you can find at the store or have available in your panty. I really don’t want you to stress about not having exactly the ‘right’ ingredients, or to go out and buy expensive goods that you might not get true value from. Here are some suggestions about other ingredients you could use instead of – or as well as – the ones listed above:
- fennel – this is used in traditional dukkah but I don’t like fennel so I always leave it out. Feel free to add it (back) in!
- pine nuts (my favorite – I add them into everything I can!)
- green peppercorns
- lemon myrtle
- orange zest (very tasty but doesn’t store well so use it up quickly)
I’d love to know how you go making this recipe, so please leave me a note in the comments if you have any feedback.
Until next time…
Love & tasty snacks, Bella X
Pistachio Dukkah Recipe
- Mixing bowl
- Skillet/ frypan
- blender/ food processor/ stick blender
- ¼ pound pistachio nuts, shelled & roasted (200 grams)
- ¼ pound hazelnuts, roasted
- ¾ pound bread, roughly cut into wedges/ chunks (350 grams)
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon coriander seeds, ground
- ¼ teaspoon cumin seeds, ground
- ¼ teaspoon sweet paprika powder
- cracked black pepper, to taste
- salt, to taste
- Heat the olive oil in the frypan.
- Add pistachios and hazelnuts, and roast them for about 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and drain on absorbant paper while cooling.
- Using the same pan, roast the sesame seeds for about 1.5 minutes.
- Add the coriander, cumin, and paprika to the pan. Stir while roasting for 1 minute.
- Blend the nuts in the blender/ food processor until they are finely chopped.
- On a large plate, combine the nuts with the lightly roasted sesame seeds and spices and allow them to cool. Add salt & pepper to taste.
- To serve, place oil and pistachio mixture into separate small serving bowls and place on a large platter with Turkish bread and remaining nuts.
- Dip bread into olive oil, then press into dukkah and enjoy!